The Children's Educational Opportunity Act is about providing opportunities and turning dreams into reality. Every child should have the same opportunity when it comes to accessing quality education and nurturing their potential.
Our children deserve nothing but the very best and parents have the right to decide the best education fit for their child, not the government.
Education is the great equalizer that can break the chains of poverty and pave the path to social and economic mobility. It provides individuals with the tools they need to rise above their circumstances and create a better life for themselves and their families.
Here are more details:
- Empowering parents to make the best choices for their child's education and ensuringthatfinancial barriers do not hinder their growth.
- Amends the California Constitution to provide funding to accredited public schools, charter schools, private schools, parochial schools and home schools.
- Parents have the option to participate by notifying the state to establish a state-controlled Education Savings Account (ESA) for their child where the voter approved Proposition 98 funds are safeguarded within this account for use.
- ESA funds are dispersed to the accredited school selected by the parent, ensuring a seamless process that focuses solely on providing the best education possible. Parents need not worry about handling the ESA funds directly.
- Initial annual funding of $17,000 comes from voter approved Proposition 98 which provides money specific for educating the state’s students. This annual contribution amount will grow with the California economy.
- Eligibility and participation are open to every child in California, Kindergarten to 12th grade.
- Unused ESA funds are carried over annually and earn interest ensuring nothing goes to waste.
- Unused ESA funds after 12th grade can be applied to accredited trade technical school, community college, university and postgraduate school.
- Parents decide the best educational fit for their child, not a government bureaucrat or central planner.
- Children can break free from underperforming schools that provide subpar education, opening doors to a brighter future.
- Every child should have the same education opportunities as those from affluent families.